Saturday, February 13, 2010

a passion for poetry

ever since 9th grade when i had to write a poem for English class, i've loved writing poetry. i hated english class.... but writing poetry stuck with me. i like words. so in college i took a creative writing: poetry class as an elective for my writing and rhetoric major.  It was by far one of my favorite classes at JMU b/c all we did is write poetry. i love writing it, but it takes time, and this gave me a reason. we had to read it in front of the class and have it orally edited ... but i didn't mind, normally i would despise this, but i loved writing and making it better. So, as a final project we had to have a compilation of poetry... name it, have an abstract, etc. so i thought i'd share it as a part of this blog. maybe it'll motivate me to make time to write more... these aren't perfect, and they're no shakespeare, but i think they're relatable. and that's my goal.. i'll be posting sporadically.... I will also be posting poems that have special meaning to me or ones that i simply like... enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My collection of poetry is connected through the underlying theme of relationships, whether a friendship, a relationship with a boyfriend or significant other, or a relationship with a  higher power (God).  This underlying intimacy is threaded throughout each poem.  The poems' subject matters range from general experiences such as death, to love, to loss, and to intimacy.  However, within each of these subject matters there is a larger story, a greater Romance that we are all a part of. Hopefully, this collection of poems gives insight into the greater story... the Romance that is Life.


No comments:

Post a Comment