Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Nineteen

That springtime in Virginia, everything
     was new and fresh,
the flowers, the trees, the people
I met a boy who told me what I wanted to hear.
     I was naive,
feeding off what was given to me.
I questioned the intentions fleetingly, older and
     used, carrying the burden of the truth in
the back of my mind.

At nineteen, away from home, I wanted
    to seize the opportunity.
His eyes were gray casting shadows on his
     empty claims, and like a fool I'd smile
He knew what to do what to say, how to
     appease me and how to keep hidden.
We went to a crystal city and the walls fell
     down that night.

I asked and asked myself how each scar felt.
How I let it come to this point.
As the lies came to light and the facade began
  to crumble, "He didn't understand" was all he said.
A sudden storm came that night and the
  flash from the lightning illuminated the truth
He uttered yet, another false promise,
   and I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment